An aromatherapy massage has various benefits. It helps to lower your anxiety and stress levels. You may also experience pain relief in your lower muscles and joints. It is also great to promote mindfulness as well as a good mood. This is due to the endorphins that are released during the massage. Besides that, you may also experience a good change in your sleeping patterns.
Aromatherapy is a type of alternative practice to better your health. It uses different scents and fragrances to boost your mental and physical body. It is very often done with essential oils. Essential oils are oils from bark, roots, stalks, flowers, leaves and fruit. Each of these oils contains its individual unique and healing benefits.
During an aromatherapy session, you can choose from different forms of application. It could be through diffusing the oils with a vaporiser. You could also spray them on your sheets and clothes. Besides that many people choose to massage these oils into their skin. You can do this by mixing it with carrier oils like coconut or grapeseed oil.
In this article, we will discuss the various benefits, risks and forms of aromatherapy massage. You will also get a closer look at how this massage is done along with some of the best essential oils used.
What is Aromatherapy Massage?
Massage therapy usually involves the practice of physical touch. On the other hand, aromatherapy can be done without any contact. This form of therapy depends on you inhaling the fragrance of essential oils. But, an aromatherapy massage is something that has become quite popular.
An aromatherapy massage blends the perks of typical massages with fragrant essential or concentrated oils. These oils are usually derived from many different plants. As a result, an aromatherapy massage benefits both your mind and your body. A normal aromatherapy massage session lasts for around 60 minutes. This session includes massaging and rubbing your body. Some sessions also include soothing music.
There are many popular essential oils that are being used. These include chamomile, lavender, lemon, geranium, ginger, bergamot, cedar wood, and tea tree. Since these aromatic oils are strong, you should dilute them in a neutral oil before you apply them to your skin. Some neutral carrier oils are jojoba oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or olive oil.
The fragrance of essential oils travels to the limbic system of your brain during a massage. This adaptable framework performs many functions. For instance, it helps regulate your emotions. Nice aromas cause serotonin and dopamine to be released. Thus resulting in pleasant feelings.
The main purpose of aromatherapy is to boost your mental and physical well-being. You can add various essential oils to any form of massage. In addition, massage therapy lowers your physical pain as well as improves your mood for a while. And, by adding essential oils you can boost the effects of the massage.
The skin absorbs essential oils when you rub them on it. Some oils can help you improve your mood. Some can also help you relieve pain or detox your body.
What is Aroma Massage?
An aroma massage is also called aromatherapy massage. This is a form of alternative and complementary medicine that promotes an atmosphere of well-being and healing. It also helps you to reach a state of total relaxation.
An aroma massage is performed by kneading and rubbing the skin with various essential oils. These oils emit a strong and pleasant fragrance that helps calm the body and mind. These are oils that are plant-based, typically extracted from trees, flowers and herbs. Every oil has unique and therapeutic benefits. Some common essential oils are jojoba, grapeseed, olive oil and sweet almond.
When you rub essential oils on your body, the skin absorbs them. You can find that some oils help improve your mood. Some also help to relieve your pain or function as a body detox.
You can also experience an impact on your emotions through an aromatherapy massage. When certain oils are diffused, they impact the limbic system of your brain. This system controls your emotions. You can experience this by inhaling the fragrance of essential oils.
The primary goal of aromatherapy is to better your mental and physical well-being. Any style of massage can benefit from the addition of essential oils. Massage therapy also temporarily relieves physical pain and improves your mood.
A massage can even impact your lymphatic system. This is the system that gets rid of waste and extra fluids from your tissues. This also reduces swelling and retaining fluids. You can also enhance the massage’s effects by using essential oils.
For instance, you can boost your mood by adding orange essential oil. This could also be used to treat aches and pains due to depression. As a result, many customers prefer to experiment with essential oils using diffusers.
Swedish Massage With Aromatherapy
A Swedish massage is a type of massage therapy that helps you relax and soothes your body. This technique uses relaxing and soothing massage techniques. It has rhythmic, patient and slow movements that help put you to sleep. There are four main movements applied during a Swedish massage. They are called kneading, petrissage, kneading and effleurage.
As the name suggests, it originates from Sweden. Several other massage practices have adopted aspects of this massage. For instance, aromatherapy massage, acupressure massage as well as reflexology. These techniques help to release stress and tension in the body. It is done by putting pressure on the body’s meridian points.
Besides that, this massage includes different levels of strokes from mild to moderate and then deep. It is done on the arms, neck, back, and legs along with other body parts. In addition, a Swedish massage helps you to relax. You may experience stress and pain relief. Also, this massage helps to release any knots in your muscles. A Swedish massage reduces your stress levels and improves your circulation. It can also help with scar tissue.
A Swedish massage is a whole-body massage with a gentle technique, It is ideal for anyone who hasn’t had a massage before. You can also opt for this massage if you experience touch sensitivity or stress. In addition, this style of massage employs a number of techniques. For instance, vibration, rubbing and kneading. It also involves tapping, long strokes and deep rotating movements. A Swedish massage usually lasts somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes.
You may also receive therapeutic benefits from either of these methods, such as stress relief or muscle relaxation. Although a Swedish massage and an aromatherapy massage aren’t the same things. Many times, people pair them together for the best experience.
What are the Benefits of Aromatherapy Massage?
Most people find aromatherapy massages to be expensive. So, it is only natural for you to wonder whether it is worth it. Though the results of this massage depend on each person, it has several benefits that can help you. Here are some of the best benefits of an aromatherapy massage:
- It helps to reduce stress in your body. Most aromatherapy massages use essential oils and scents with calming and soothing properties. For instance, lavender and chamomile are popular scents used to reduce stress. These scents impact your brain functions and emotions in a direct manner. It is also found that these oils promote a sense of relaxation in the body. It even decreases the release of anxiety hormones like cortisol. This is due to the fact that fragrances are sent directly to your brain from your nose.
- It helps lower your pain and discomfort levels. Massage therapy also helps to treat pain, immobility, swelling and stiffness. This can be for athletes as well as people suffering from illnesses like arthritis. It accomplishes this by boosting circulation. It also breaks up your muscle adhesions. Thus increasing your flexibility and motion flexibility. In addition, scents like frankincense and peppermint help to reduce inflammation in the body. Some oils like lemon and orange also boost your energy. Many individuals use aromatherapy to increase their focus and stop headaches caused by tension.
- It may help with your sleeping patterns. The main reasons why people struggle with their sleeping habits are stress and pain. This is why aromatherapy is a great option. Though it may not make sense to go for a proper massage often, you can still find other ways to make you sleep better. You can do this by massaging parts of your body that are tense with lavender or peppermint oil.
Uses and Associated Risks
Aromatherapy as well as massage therapy is safe when done professionally. But, it is better to be cautious if you have any injuries. You should also be careful if you experience sensitivity to certain oils, fragrances and scents.
If you’re someone who is healing from a specific injury, then consult a doctor or physician before you go for a massage. This lowers the chances of added pain or aggravation. You should also keep the massage therapist up to date with your medical history. For instance, any problems affecting your joints and muscles like arthritis or past injuries.
Besides that, if you’re allergic to any kind of smell or plant, then make sure you let the aroma or massage therapist know beforehand. This is crucial to decrease the risk of bad reactions like rashes or breathing problems. Some common allergies may be to families of mint, lavender, or citrus.
Also, it is important to be careful if you have skin conditions, epilepsy, fever, asthma or hypertension. You should also check whether any of the oils contain seeds or nuts. It is also important to stay away from aromatherapy if you’re pregnant or nursing. This is because aromatherapy can impact a growing fetus. Certain oils like peppermint may also appear in breast milk.
There are also a few concerns regarding essential oils being disruptive to young boys’ hormones. Also, some children and pets may experience negative reactions to these oils. Some studies have also shown that lemon essential oil can increase your skin’s sensitivity to exposure to the sun.
Besides that, it is essential to do a patch test a few days before your aromatherapy massage. Also, if during the massage you feel uncomfortable, speak to the therapist immediately.
Tips for Aromatherapy Massage
There are quite a few things you need to be aware of regarding an aromatherapy massage. So, here are some tips to keep in mind before, during and after your massage.
- Pick your essential oil depending on what you need. For instance, you can choose a citrus scent for a mood booster. Or you could go for lavender to help you relax and eucalyptus to help with the pain.
- You should also decide if you would like to inhale the oil through a diffuser or through the massage itself. For this, you should be aware of any sensitivities or allergies to the oil.
- Also, don’t forget to test the essential oils on your forearm before the massage. You can then make sure that there won’t be any reactions to your massage.
- Don’t eat too much before your massage. This can upset your stomach during the session as well as after.
- Remember to drink water before and after the massage. Also, keep a snack on hand.
- If you want to take a shower, make sure it is at least an hour after your massage. Also, try to keep it to a warm or cold shower so as to not aggravate your skin.
- A big part of an aromatherapy massage is steady breathing. Make sure you breathe normally as irregular breathing could create stress and tension in your body.
- You should also try to communicate well with your massage therapist. You can focus on any parts where you’re experiencing pain. Also, you should give your therapist a decent explanation of how your life is going. Do you have trouble sleeping? Do you struggle with anxiety and depression? All these details can help your massage therapist personalise the treatment for the best experience.
Best Oils for Aromatherapy Massage
Every oil has unique qualities and benefits of its own. You will have the best experience with good-quality oils. They should be therapeutic-grade and organic. You should let your massage therapist know what you’d like to achieve from the massage. Then, they can choose a scent for that job. You can also find these essential oils in online stores or at health food shops.
- To relieve pain, inflammation, and discomfort you can go for peppermint, rosemary or cypress oil. Frankincense, geranium, cedarwood, or helichrysum oil are also some great options.
- To reduce swelling and increase circulation you can consider sandalwood or cypress oil. Besides that, juniper berries, frankincense and grapefruit also help. Ylang-ylang, lavender and chamomile oils also work wonders to help you relax and sleep better.
- To boost your energy and concentration you can choose peppermint, orange or spearmint oils. Grapefruit and lemon oils are also great options.
- To reduce inflammation and depressive symptoms you can go with lovely jasmine oil. Other oils that help with inflammation are rosemary, eucalyptus and chamomile. Jasmine oil is also an excellent aphrodisiac.
- To help regulate blood pressure you can consider bergamot oil. It is also good for your digestive and urinary tract. If you combine it with eucalyptus oil, it can help with skin problems like chicken pox.
- To sharpen concentration and relieve headaches you can choose basil essential oil.
- To ease muscle aches, pains and bruises you can use black pepper oil. If you use this with ginger essential oil, you can also lower arthritis pain and boost flexibility.
- To increase hair growth and memory you can choose rosemary essential oil. This oil also helps your nervous and circulatory systems as well as reduces muscle spasms. Some other common choices for essential oils are wintergreen, tarragon, tea tree, and pine.
What’s The Difference Between Massage And Aromatherapy?
The big difference between a massage and aromatherapy is that one uses essential oils and the other doesn’t. Massage therapy usually includes the use of physical touch. Aromatherapy, on the other hand, can be practised without any contact. This type of therapy requires inhaling the fragrance of essential oils. Aromatherapy massage, on the other hand, has grown in popularity.
Aromatherapy massage fuses the benefits of classic massages with fragrant essential or concentrated oils. These oils are typically made from a wide range of plants. As a result, aromatherapy massage is beneficial to both the mind and the body.
Is Aromatherapy Massage Safe?
When done the right way, aromatherapy and massage therapy are both safe. However, if you have any injuries, you should exercise caution. You should also take precautions if you are sensitive to certain oils, fragrances, or scents.
There are a few risks with this form of massage. You could develop a rash, redness or hives due to an allergy. You could also experience swelling and itchiness. This is why most people suggest doing a patch test before your session. You can do this by first mixing a few drops of the essential oil with a carrier oil. Then rub a few drops on your forearm. If you have no reaction 24 hours later, then it is mostly safe.
You should also keep it away from pets, children, and pregnant women. Also, try to keep out of direct sunlight with any citrus or bergamot oil.
What Happens In Aromatherapy Session?
Before an aromatherapy session, your therapist will likely ask you for a complete medical history. You should also give them any symptoms of stress or tension that you are feeling. Besides that, keep them aware of any trauma that may get triggered during the session. If there are any specific scents and fragrances that you like, you can ask about them.
During the session, you may either be asked to breathe in the essential oils from a cloth or you can inhale it through steam inhalations, diffusers and vaporisers. The therapist may also massage your body with diluted oils for the best experience. Some oils can also change the types of hormones and neurotransmitters that you release.
Is Aromatherapy Massage Full Body?
Aromatherapy is a full-body massage that uses essential oils to treat each person. The therapist massages all parts of your body that get stressed and tenses up easily. This includes the back, neck, and shoulders. Besides that, your arms, hands and legs are massaged.
This massage uses fragrant oils to reach a pre-decided goal. This can be total relaxation or to improve focus. It could also relieve pain and headaches. Some oils also help your circulation and digestive tracts.
Which Type Of Massage Is Best?
There are various types of massages you can opt for. A Shiatsu massage is great to relax your body. Some people also choose hot stone massage which relaxes muscle pains and tension. But among the best and more popular types of massages is aromatherapy massage. An aromatherapy massage involves the use of different essential oils to achieve various goals like relaxation, pain alleviation and more. You can go for a Swedish aromatherapy massage to help with soreness. It also boosts circulation in your body.
The primary objective of an aromatherapy massage is to improve your mental and physical health. Any type of massage can benefit from the addition of essential oils. Besides this, massage therapy temporarily relieves physical pain while also improving your mood. You can also enhance the massage’s effects by using essential oils.
Sometimes aromatherapy massages may use techniques rooted in Swedish massages. You can apply these techniques while massaging oils and lotions into the body. These essential oils are inhaled or absorbed through your skin during an aromatherapy massage.
Besides that, this form of massage is completely safe. But, if you have any allergies, illnesses, or trauma it is best to be careful.
What is your favourite essential oil used in aromatherapy? What has been your experience with aromatherapy massage? Let us know in the comments below.